by Amy Begley
We’re just days away from the AJC Peachtree Road Race, the largest 10K in the world! While that can seem a little intimidating, there are things you can do to prevent any race-day jitters, for the Peachtree or any race. Getting to the start line will go a lot more smoothly if you take a few minutes to get ready the night before and have a plan for the day of the race.
The Night Before:
- Have your transportation plan ready – for Peachtree, we strongly recommend you use MARTA
- Lay out everything you will wear including shoes and socks
- Put your race number and safety pins with your clothes so you don’t forget them
- Eat a good dinner, but don’t try any new foods
- Hydrate throughout the day, and if it is hot and humid, make sure to include electrolyte drinks in addition to water
- Decide where you will meet family or friends after the race
- Get a good night’s sleep
The Morning of the Race:
- Eat what you usually eat before a morning run – do not try new foods or fluids!
- Before you leave, make sure you grab your race number and safety pins
- Take fluids to drink on the way to the start line
- Arrive early
During the Race:
- Stay calm and keep positive thoughts in your mind
- Try to get into your pace early without starting too fast
- Most importantly, have fun!
Once you’ve crossed the finish line, grab your AJC Peachtree Road Race finisher’s shirt and celebrate with your friends, family and the other 59,999 runners! We’ll see you on July 4th!