With the mild temperatures we’ve been experiencing this winter, summer doesn’t feel so far away – and it’s not! If you want to be part of Atlanta’s largest Fourth of July tradition, you have to start planning now.
The AJC Peachtree Road Race is the world’s largest 10K, and it happens right here in Atlanta on Independence Day. Every year 60,000 people run and walk from Buckhead to Piedmont Park, where they receive the coveted finisher’s T-shirt you only get one if you cross that finish line. It’s a great way to start your Fourth of July celebrations with your friends and family.
Every Atlantan should experience the AJC Peachtree Road Race at least once. This event brings in everyone from elite runners to first-time walkers, 10 year olds to those in their 90s. There is a place for everyone at Peachtree, and even an official training program to get you ready for the big day!
So how you can you claim your spot at this year’s event? Participants are selected through an online lottery. Here’s what you need to do:
- Mark your calendars. Lottery registration for the AJC Peachtree Road Race is open March 15 through 11:59 p.m. on March 22.
- Register at com/peachtree. (And tell all your friends to register as well!) You can even sign up at our kickoff event at Big Peach Running Co. on March 15 from 6-8 p.m. We will have prizes, refreshments and more.
- Watch your email. You will find out whether or not you were selected by March 25.
- If you were selected – train! In-Training for Peachtree is the official training program of the AJC Peachtree Road Race and welcomes all levels of runners and walkers. You can register for the program at org.
Don’t miss out on the 48th running of this Atlanta tradition. Register for the lottery and start the Independence Day holiday off with a celebration of health and fitness. Good luck!
– Amy Begley, Atlanta Track Club Coach